A.B. -Pediatric Scoliosis

“I remember I was around 10 years old when I first started having problems. I would constantly be complaining to my parents that my ribs hurt, and it was hard for me to breathe. I was going through that for a while, and it really bothered me. Soon after that, I went to my doctor for a physical. She was the first person to notice that I had a small lump on my back. I remember her telling my mom to get it checked out. I went for x-rays, and found out that I had Scoliosis.

I was a little worried at first, but I didn’t expect it to be a big deal. I think it was when I saw my brace that I really started to get scared. I didn’t want to have to wear it. I wanted it to just go away by itself, but of course, it doesn’t really happen like that. Wearing the brace was my only option.

During this time I was with a different doctor than Dr. Moreno. After he gave me the brace, I would go back every once in a while to take x-rays to see my progress. The last x-ray showed that the brace wasn’t working, and that I had to have surgery.

I only remember two things perfectly clear, exactly how they happened. One was finding out I needed to wear a brace, and the other one was finding out I needed surgery. The first one scared me, but the second one scared me even more. I was 12 years old at this point, and the thought of being in the hospital and actually being operated on is terrifying when you’re that young.

After finding out about the surgery, my parents and I decided to switch doctors. I remember my parents saying that they didn’t like how he chose to do the surgery, and I didn’t like it either. They asked me if I was o.k. with everything, and I said no. I needed a doctor who would make me comfortable through the whole thing, the surgery and the recovery.

This is when we went to see Dr. Moreno. After visiting with him, I felt so much better and I could tell my parents felt the same way. He went through with us exactly what he was going to do. I felt more comfortable with this, since I actually knew what was going to happen to me. This time I was ready for my surgery. I was still nervous, but I know that Dr. Moreno was going to take care of me.

I don’t remember what I was thinking on the way there, but I remember walking into the hospital the morning of my surgery not as worried as I thought I would be. I got in my room, and my mom helped me change into the gown. I lied down in my bed and waited. They started giving me IV’s soon, and that’s when I started getting nervous. After a while I started falling asleep, and my parents said good-bye to me.

Dr. Moreno definitely took care of me as I thought he would. He even told me he would many time before the surgery, and even in the operating room right before I fell asleep from the anesthesia. After he said that, I remember nodding and thinking that everything was going to be o.k. Dr. Moreno and his surgical team gave me the comfort I needed.

I felt so much better after my surgery. I could breathe and sit still for a long time without being in pain. I could actually be normal.

I consider Dr. Moreno my hero. I waited for everything to go wrong, but nothing ever did. He was there to make sure that everything was carefully done and if anything were to go wrong, he could automatically fix it. It all went perfectly and I now have no problems with my back, all thanks to him. Now I’m 16 years old and I still go to see him every once in a while, so he can make sure and actually see that I am o.k. And because of him, I always am.